If you forget or lost your Apple TV remote control, you can control Apple TV from the iPad or iPhone remote app. But in order to use iPhone or iPad remote app, your iOS device needs to be on the same wireless network as your Apple TV. Without any keyboard, the only way you can join a Wireless network on Apple TV is with a remote. But I discovered one new solution. Apple TV will learn/respond to the signals from most of the remote controls. They need 6 keys: up, down, left, right, select, and back. In order to use this method, you need to connect your TV to a wired ethernet network (ADSL modem/router). Okay, here let’s see how to connect Wi-Fi to Apple TV without a remote.
See also: Steps to Use Apple Watch as Apple TV Remote
Connect Wi-Fi to Apple TV without a Remote
- Connect your Apple TV to the TV where you need to use it. Then plug into the network via ethernet cable.
- Ensure your iPad or iPhone is already connected to the same network using WiFi. Then use the iOS remote app to connect to and control your Apple TV (Remember: You can’t configure a Wireless network when a wired connection is enabled and so as soon as you disconnected the wired network, your iPad or iPhone remote app will not be able to communicate with Apple TV).
- Find the remote which has keys for up, down, left, right, back, and select.
- Use your iPad or iPhone remote app to navigate the General menu option and go to the Remotes menu option.
- Choose “Learn Remote” from the Remotes menu options. If you have your remote ready and then choose “start”.
- Apple TV will popup an options box to press the appropriate remote button (holding it down) for each command until it recognised it.
- After it learns the buttons for each of the 6 commands, it will all you to name the remote.
- Now you have a remote which is working with Apple TV. Disconnect the wired cable (ethernet) and go to the General -> Network settings and configure Wi-Fi with the right security settings as provided by your host/resort.
- After it is connected, you can able to communicate with your Apple TV with an iPad or iPhone again or use your temporary remote. That’s all.
I hope it will help you to connect your Apple TV to Wi-Fi without an original remote. If you have any doubts or suggestions then let me know through the comment section below. And keep supporting iphonetopics.com.
this does not work!!!
It will not let me do the actions when in the "learn remote" section
Thank you for creating a device that, when the slim and trim remote gets lost (all the time) and you happen to have a situation where the device loses its wifi info, you're left with a brick.
Not to put a damper on these great comments especially from the Earth (Love it) – but this fix worked like a charm and pretty much rescued me from a horrible night without Netflix – a big shout out to say THANKS! You are a life saver.
Worked as expected. didn't work with a old SKY and Bose system remote but was able to configure the Panasonic TV remote.