When I insert a game, Xbox 360 won’t read a disc and says “Open tray” error. Cleaning the cache does not fix the issue.
Solution 1: Force the tray
- Remove the game disk from the machine and turn it off.
- Open the Disk tray and turn on the machine.
- Force the disc tray back in (physically).
- For a few seconds, disk tray should stop ajar and continues to retract the disk tray.
- Reboot the Xbox device.
Note: This issue mostly happened because drive controller gets into a tizzy and does not understand laser is wrongly calibrated. Forcing disk to perform a self-check and fix the issue.
Solution 2: If your device out of warranty
If your Xbox not under warranty performs the following steps.
Remove the dust inside the disk drive. Open Disk drive and clean the laser with Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.
Solution 3: Permanent fix
Listed below some of the permanent fixes to resolve the problem.
- Dusty Xbox will make noise. So, use CleanDr x disc to clean the dust.
- Replace lens.
- Remove any disks.
- Open Xbox to readjust the lens.
Solution 4: Short-term fix
- Frequently, open/close tray until game works.
- Click on the Xbox at the time of reading.
- Place your Xbox horizontal/vertical to remove the dust.
- Take your Xbox to the Microsoft for repair. Now, the problem gets solved.
Solution 5: Adjust the laser height
- Take away the Xbox and remove the DVD room.
- There are two tiny screws on the side of the laser unit.
- One screw helps to adjust the height of the laser to get the exact position.
Solution 6: Open and Close Xbox
- Hold down and open the disc tray.
- Then, close your Xbox.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Now, open your Xbox and put the disc in the tray and start to play your game.