There are a lot of Mac users recently reported this issue. After upgrading to macOS Mojave, Messages app constantly freezing, hangs, crashes. User’s unable to open Messages App.
Restarting MacBook in safe mode, resetting PRAM, deleting old messages does not fix this issue.
Solution 1: Check Message in iCloud Settings
- On your Mac, Open Messages.
- Go to Messages -> Preferences.
- Select General -> iMessage -> Settings.
- Now, unselect Enable Message in iCloud.
Solution 2. Remove Messages cache file
Note: Before you do this, make sure that you shut down the Messages app first.
- Open Finder.
- Hold down the “Option key” and select the Go menu.
- Choose the “Library” Option.
- Now, access the container files in Library.
- Then, Find the following “plist files” and move them to the Trash.
Containers/com.apple.corerecents.recentsd Caches/com.apple.Messages Caches/com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Caches Containers/com.apple.soagent
Note: some of them may not exist.
- Now, restart your Mac and test, if you are still having issues or not. If yes then follow the steps.
- Go to the Library folder again and open the Preferences folder.
- find the following items beginning with one of the following strings:
com.apple.iChat com.apple.ids com.apple.imdsmsrecordstore com.apple.imessage com.apple.imservice
- Move them all to your desktop.
- restart your Mac.
- If your Messages app is working, but these items back one by one after each test.
Solution 3: Update MacOS
When facing any issue such as Message freezes, slow and not syncing, always check for macOS update is available for your device. If so, Apple recommends updating your OS as a first step.
If you are still having the same issues, then you want to contact Apple Support. If the above solutions are helpful or worked out for your issue, let me know in the comments. Thanks…!