Many Apple users have a complaint that their iPhone gets hot after iOS 12 update. Here I am going to tell you the solutions to fix this issue. If you have the same problem, this article will help you to fix it.
Before trying these solutions,
- Don’t use your iPhone while charging.
- Remove the case from your iPhone. The case may prevent the radiation from going out of the phone. So, remove the case and cool down your device.
- Turn off Wi-Fi, Cellular Data, Bluetooth, AirDrop when not necessary.
- Don’t use your phone after getting hot, just let it cool down.
Devices: iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 6, 6s, 6 Plus
Fix 1: Force close apps
Force close the apps each time after using the iPhone. It will close the apps that are running in the background.
iPhone 8, 7, 6, & 5
- Press the Home Button twice. You can see recently closed apps.
- Swipe all the apps up including Music App to close them.
- Swipe the screen up from the Home screen. You can see recently closed apps.
- Press and hold the app firmly. Tap ‘-’ symbol in the red circle at the left upper corner of the app (OR) after seeing ‘-’ symbol in the red circle, swipe all the apps up to close them.
Fix 2: Restart your iPhone
- Press and hold the Power Button (Sleep/Wake) until the slide to power off screen appears.
- Drag the slider to turn off your device.
- To turn on your device, press and hold the Power Button until the Apple Logo appears.
Fix 3: Turn off “Background App Refresh”
- Go Settings->General->Background App refresh.
- Tap “Background App Refresh”.
- There you can see three options. Select “Off”.
Fix 4: Hard Reset
iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, and earlier
Press and hold the Home Button and Power Button (Sleep/Wake) until the Apple Logo Appears.
iPhone 7 & 7 Plus
Press and hold the Side Button and Volume Down Button until the Apple Logo appears.
iPhone 8, 8 Plus, & X
- Press the Volume Up Button and release it.
- Press the Volume Down Button and release it.
- Press and hold the Side Button until the Apple Logo appears.
Note: Don’t press the Volume Up and Volume Down Buttons simultaneously.
Fix 5: Check the battery consumption for each app
- Go Settings->General.
- Under BATTERY USAGE, you can see the battery consumption for each app.
- Find which one (app) makes your battery draining so fast and update/uninstall that app.
Fix 6: Reset All Settings
- Go to Settings->General->Reset.
- Tap “Reset All Settings”.
- Enter your passcode and restrictions passcode.
- Tap “Reset All Settings”.
- Again tap “Reset all Settings” to confirm.
Note: This action will reset all Wi-Fi Networks & Passwords, APN & VPN Settings, and Cellular Settings of your iPhone.
Fix 7: Update/restore your phone on Recovery/DFU Mode
Before doing it, back up your iPhone. Because this action may erase all data from your device.
- Connect your iPhone to Mac/Computer via Lightning (USB) cable.
- Open iTunes on PC/Computer.
- Make sure that iTunes is updated to the latest version.
- Then Force Restart your iPhone (follow the steps from Fix 4).
- Don’t leave Buttons after seeing the Apple Logo. Keep holding it until Recovery Mode screen (iTunes screen) appears.
- Select “Update” in the pop-up box. If you select “Update”, iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without deleting your data. Wait until the process is finished.
- Then Force Restart your iPhone.
Note: If it doesn’t work out, select “Restore” instead of “Update”.
- If this issue occurs while charging, change the charger.
- Sometimes this issue will occur after updating. So wait for 1 or 2 weeks and then check whether your phone becomes hot or not.
If you know any other solutions to fix iOS 12 iPhone overheating, let us know through your comments.