“Invalid Node structure” “The volume macintosh HD could not be verified completely“ is the error seen in Apple OS due to corrupt storage disk directory structure. This issue is not solved by Mac OS X built-in disk utility and we may have problem in booting or miss some applications based on the corruption. In simple the corruption of Mac hard drive directory structure is this error. We have some tricks and tools to handle this error, fixing this error gives maximum possible data recovery.We are here with some of the possible solutions to solve this issue.
Fix 1 : Use inbuilt fsck ”filesystem check” utility to fix the node structure
We can first use the fsck command- line tool from Mac OS X recovery to check and repair the corrupted file in this method.
- Boot into Mac recovery by pressing option/Alt key at boot. Let us Launch Terminal from utilities menu inside recovery.
- Use the df command to find the macintosh volume id that has the corrupt OS X file system. An example with “DISK ID” like disk0s2 is shown in the image link,
- Must unmount the Mac volume by using the command umount/dev/disk_id and use fsck_hfs-r/dev/diskid to start the process. It will find and fix issues.
- When finish with fsck_hfs, fix all other issues using Mac OS X disk utility.
Fix 2 : Use MacDrive Pro from Bootcamp to fix and recover data
- When we have bootcamp on our Mac to dual boot Windows that loads fine after disk corruption we have to use windows utility MacDrive Pro to recover data from Mac volume and fix the issue. It use fix1 to recover and launch windows.
- We can use MacDrive Pro to repair Mac volume and mount it inside windows explorer for data recovery, when the issue is inside windows. This method allowed to backup data from Mac Volume but still had problem in booting Mac OS X. Fix 3 comes to resolve this problem.
Fix 3 : Use bootable Diskwarrior (Paid) USB to rebuild the node structure.
We can use a data recovery application that can scan and recover as many data as possible. Diskwarrior 4 is an application to recover data that can be boot using bootable DVD or we can create bootable USB using the steps below.
- Should get the copy of diskwarrior 4 and mount the CDR image file from disk utility from Mac Recovery. Then partition external USB flash/pendrive to match the partition on mounted disk warrior image file, clone partitions from CDR image to pendrive.
- Then boot from diskwarrior bootable disk from Mac startup manager.
- To start the recovery process,use the rebuild option. Wait till the process complete.
- A scan report is presented on completion of the process, we can read and replace corrupt node structure catalog with one recreated by diskwarrior press replace button finally to replace the files by disk warrior.
- To download any free cloning software available on the web and perform risk free reliable cloning.
- Connect a firewire drive to Mac and use disk utility to create two partitions and zero out all data on it. let A and B be two partitions where A is bigger partition than B.
- Then perform basic OS X installation on partition B and do not install any other additional programs. We can try booting firewire drive check for working of it. Boot Mac drive from internal drive and run verify disk function of disk utility to check firewire for errors. If there is no problem proceed with next step.
- Boot mac from internal hard drive and downloaded free cloning program can be used to clone partition B to A, from where we can boot and verify its working to ensure that we have working copy of OS X.
- Boot mac using A partition , import all useful information program from the internal Mac hard drive. It is done by migration assistant.we can use the user id in the internal drive and work as administrator. migration assistant lists some ignorable errors as of now and work on it later.When migration has imported, all the migrated programs found on a folder created by the OSX. To make error free applications we start applications from applications folder.
- To check for errors often and do run time update when possible.
- Next we have backup all on firewire drive. boot from A partition to wipe internal hard disk using disk utility to erase all without recovery.we can partition internal hard disk as per the space requirements.
- Partition B can be used to restart and cloning tool can be used to clone A partition. We have prepared internal hard drive with all data and programs installed. We can use commercial tools to perform data recovery if errors arise.