Lot of Mac OS X users reported this issue in Apple support communities. External hard drive showing up in Disk utility not in Devices. This problem also happened after OS X Yosemite update.
Solution 1: Change Preferences Settings
- Launch Finder and choose Preferences .
- Then tap on General tab and select External disks from Show these items on the desktop option.
Solution 2 : Change External Drive
- Launch Finder and tap on Go -> Utility.
- Then select Disk Utility and choose the external drive from the left sidebar.
- Tap on Verify Disc to confirm the action.
- It will find and correct some minor errors.
Solution 3: Check USB Hub
If you connecting your external hard drive with Mac using USB Hub, check the USB hub for any damage or any loose connection.
- Open Disk Utility. If your external USB drive drive faded/grayed out and unmounted?
- Connect another external drive or Pen drive to the Mac. If still, the drive is not recognized?
- Do the proper eject from the Finder window list.
- Then, Restart your Mac and connect the external drive.
- From the Finder menu, select “Go to Finder”.
- Type the external drive path what appears under Disk Utility. Ex: /Volumes/sleek-disk.
Drive not showing up in Finder but visible in Disk Utility?
Go to Finder window and view below the favourite list. If the drive greyed Out? Select the drive. It might visible.
Solution 7 :-
- Shut down your Mac computer .
- Unplug the power cord.
- Unplug all USB connections.
- Wait 30 seconds or 5 minutes then plug it back in.
- Then turn on your MacBook Pro or iMac.
- Plug the external drive only to the USB port. Open Finder and check your drive.
Some times this issue might happened because of the unsupported drive format.
Install Microsoft NTFS for Mac by iBoysoft.
Restart your computer and check the issue.
If the above methods not working?
- Install fresh OSX Yosemite.
- Connect your segate external drive or WD passport to Windows computer. Delete the partition and connect back to MacBook Pro.
Find more solutions in this post.
If you knew any other solutions, inform us via comment.