A lot of Microsoft Office users reported this issue. Whatever they make a new excel sheet and save it, they can’t write in this sheet the next day. It becomes a read-only file.
So, Here is the article I will share a few solutions to remove read-only privilege from an excel spreadsheet. Let’s get started.
Solution 1: Give Read & Write option
- Right-click on the file that you want to open.
- Select the Get info option.
- From the Privilege select tap on Read-only option.
- Choose the Read & Write option and then close it.
- Now go back to the Excel sheet and check it.
Solution 2: Use quotation symbol
- You can’t use “/” in the name of your file.
- It allows you to save it on Mac. but windows says you can’t use a backslash (/). however once you saved it and reopen it on a Mac OS X, it will be read-only.
To remove / from the file name or change the “/” to “-“.
Solution 3: Remove Date in your Excel File
- Saving the file in Excel 97-2004 (Xls) format cause this issue.
- It includes the date (m/d/yy) in the file name. Removing the date also fix your issue.
I hope above the solution helps to fix this problem. If you know of any other solutions, do let us via comment. And if it is useful then share it with your friends. Thank you.