If you want to free up more space on iPhone and iPad, you need to delete some photos from the device. Deleting photos from Photo Library is different from deleting photos from iPhone Camera Roll.
Learn how to delete photo library from iPhone using different methods.
Method 1: Delete photos using Apply/Sync option
The following procedure worked for me.
- On PC desktop, right-click and create a new folder. Name it “Empty folder”.
- Connect the phone to computer and open iTunes.
- Select your phone on the left side.
- Choose “photos” option on the top of the interface.
- Click the box “Sync Photos from”.
- Choose the drop down and “choose folder”.
- Click “desktop” option.
- Click on the folder that you created and named it as you wish.
- Click “Apply/Sync”.
This will delete the “Photo Library” and “My Photos” album is also created. You can also leave unwanted photos that you want to keep.
Method 2: Import photos
Before doing an import of your photos, do the given steps:
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac.
- Open Preview.
- File menu> Import From (iPhone Name).
- Select the photos you want to delete and click on delete option
Method 3: Delete photos from iPhone Photo Library with iTunes
- Install iTunes on a computer, and connect iPhone to a computer using USB cable.
- Click on devices, and choose Photos option.
- Click the “Sync Photos”, and click “Selected albums”.
- Uncheck all of the checkboxes next to events, albums and faces.
- Click the “Apply” button to remove all of the photos from the iPhone’s Photo Library.
Method 4: Remove via the iPhone
- Click the “Photos” button on your iPhone’s home screen.
- Open your camera roll.
- Click on “Share” button.
- Scroll the list of thumbnails by clicking on each one. If you click on each thumbnail a red check mark appears.
- Click the “Delete” button to remove all the pictures from the Photo Library.
Method 5: Use Camera Roll
- Go to Settings>General>Usage>Photos and Camera.
- Decide which you want to delete either “Camera Roll” or Photo Library” or “Photo Stream “.
- Swipe to Delete.
Method 6: Delete the older photos
- Go to Settings> General> Time/Date.
- Change toggle to set the timezone manually.
- Set the date BACKWARD several years, like 2012, by scrolling way back.
- Now open the Photos App, go to Delete Photos folder.
- Click “Delete All”.
This procedure deletes all photos from the folder which are older than 30 days.
Method 7: Delete the photos using Recently Deleted Album
When you delete photos on your iPhone, it gets moved to Recently Deleted (special album). It accidentally deletes the photos you actually want to keep. “Recently Deleted album” has a 30day timer for each video and photo. Once 30-day timer runs out, video and photo will disappear forever. Here given how to drop the unwanted ones:
- In photos App, choose the Albums icon at bottom right corner.
- Now open Recently Deleted album.
- Click the Select option at top right.
- Click the Delete All option at bottom right.
- Click the Delete XXX items options in red.
- Finally, it permanently removes all those photos and videos and taking up valuable space on your phone.
Method 8: Delete the Photostream photos
- Go to Settings >photos > then slide the photo stream button to off.
- Go into a cloud (icloud.com) and sign in.
- Click on the “Advanced” tab.”
- Click on “Reset Photo Stream”.