Fixed: "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server failed"

iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch mail app display error message like “Cannot Get Mail The connection to the server failed” when iOS device try to retrieve new mails, especially from Microsoft Exchange.
Cannot get mail the connection to the server failed
Devices: iPhone 4S, iOS 6, iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1,
Solution 1:-
Move all mails from inbox to temporary folder (or different folder) created on the server.
Solution 2:-
Some time this issue happened on your iPhone or iPad after you changed your mail password in desktop.
In your iOS device, Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> Account ->Password.
Choose the Password and enter your new password. iPhone or iPad might prompt you to sign into make this change. After you log in your account, it should update your email ( like Yahoo mail) password and refresh your email messages.
Note: If it does not bring the prompt, try 2 or 3 times.
Solution 3:-
Change Microsoft exchange security settings.

  1. Open Active Directory Users and computer
  2. On the top menu choose View > Advanced Features.
  3. Find and right click the mail account and choose Properties.
  4. Choose Security tab. Then choose Advanced.
  5. Select the check box ““Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent”.

Solution 4:-
Just change the password for Microsoft exchange email account or Yahoo account.
Other Solutions:-

  • Turn off cloud. Go back all your mail accounts and reset password.
  • Enable “Airplane” mode in settings. Then disable it.
  • Delete that account. After that create it as a new account.
  • Reset Network settings via Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.
  • Just change the “Mail Days to Sync” field to “No Limit”.
6:05 am

28 responses to Fixed: "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server failed"

Since updated my ipad to ISO 8.1.3 I am not able to send or recieve messages
From droid phones. In the settings I see SMS is missing.

I tried multiple items. From this page and others. None worked. What did work is the following. Exchange uses UPN… so in domain you remove anything entered. In the user name you use the email address (UPN) enter the password … and there you have it.

I resolved this issue by removing additional mobile device partnerships in Exchange, the user in question had 10 devices in there and had neglected to tell me that they had received an automated email advising them of this.

The 10 device limit was the answer! Thanks Chris! this is so lame, no feedback of this issue. Verizon Wireless and Apple Store was no help. While this is a Microsoft issue, ActiveSync is a dominant protocol. this should be fixed.

What i did was pretytytytyty straightforward.
Just simply log in thru your OWA internet, head for Options -> Mobile phones -> change the phone listed.
I took noticed that my partnerships only have 3 listed device (not 10), yet by terminating 1 partnership, it was solved.
Hopefully work for you also..

I reset my Microsoft password but still can't log into my email. Microsoft "chat" gave me a case number & said they would email me & provide tech help. Duh – email won't open. Was told to create a new email account but device (iPad) won't let me create a new account. No idea what to do now. So wish I could actually speak to a live person.
How is it thatI can sign into my Microsoft account but not my email!!! Help!!!

For those of you who tried all of these steps and had no luck, try confirming amount of devices synced. I could not for the life of me get this new iPad to sync for our managing partner until I realized he had 10 devices synced to his account. As soon as I removed one from ActiveSync, mail began to flow.

Thanks! I never would have thought that general settings held my email passwords. Solution 2 fixed it for me. Plus, I also learned when a notification tells me to change password, exit and log in directly to them. Do not use link provided. Otherwise, I could end up being scammed. I was worried sick thinking someone in Greece has access to my email instead of me.
Thanks again.

Solution 1 worked for me. The issue turned out to be there was a character in a specific email that was causing the error. It wasn't an ASCII character. Once I found that email I moved it to a temporary folder and all of the other inbox emails synced!

I went into settings and un-selected mail for exchange since I never use it and it seemed to be the problem. No issues since

I simply logged out and then back in to my Yahoo account via a desktop device. As soon as I did this, I was able to access my email. Hmmm!! That was too easy.

Easy fix.
You have 10 phone partnerships out of the maximum allowed 10 partnerships. After you reach the maximum, you can't create additional partnerships until you delete existing ones from your account. To do so, sign in to Outlook Web App, click Options > Phone > Mobile Phones, and delete any unused partnerships.

Valuable information. Lucky me I found your site by accident, and I am shocked why this accident did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it. kgddggkdbgdgcdbg

Leave a Reply