This problem mostly happened because of the dead batteries. So change the batteries. Use coin battery : CR2032 or BR2032 lithium 3.0 V batteries.
Also read : Apple support guide to change the batteries.
- Hold your remote close to Apple TV
- Press and hold Menu and Rewind button together for 6 seconds. Your apple TV might give a single flash after 6 seconds. So the remote now works.
Solution 2: (If the pairing not working with Mac)
This problem happened because of the Mac settings. On your Mac, go to Apple ->System Preferences -> Security & Privacy.
Select “Click the lock to make changes” option. Let it unlock the computer. Enter username and password.
Click “Advanced” button and un-check “Disable remote control infrared receiver”.
Then click “OK” button.
Solution 3: (Use remote app)
Install the remote app in your iPhone, iPad or iPod to control Apple TV and follow the Apple support guide.
Press the Menu button and check if the Apple TV light blink? If not then follow the steps.
- Reboot your Apple TV. Hold down Menu button and Down button together until light blinks. Un-plug the device. Wait 6 seconds and plug it back in.
- Un-pair and re-pair the remote: To un-pair remote, hold down Menu & Left button together until icon(remote with 2 cloud like icon) appears on the screen. This means remote un-paired.
- Then re-pair the remote : Hold down Menu button & Right button together.
If you have any issues, do let us via comment.