When users try to set up Airport Express, Airport Utility recognized it. But when they go to setup it provides an “An unexpected error occurred to try again” error message. It’s really frustrating one. But don’t worry about it. Here is the article I will share some solutions to get rid of this issue. Let get started.
Solution 1: Enable the IPv6
This issue might happen if IPv6 has been disabled. To enable IPv6 for the network interface.
- Go to Apple menu -> System Preferences and select Network.
- The lower-left corner of the lock icon appears, click it and enter the admin name and password.
- Select your network service in the list (WiFi or Ethernet) and press Advanced.
- Select TCP/IP tab.
- From the configure IPv6 popup menu, select Link-local only.
- Click OK and select Apply.
Device (Airport Express, AirPort Time Capsule, Airport Extreme) should now reappear in AirPort Utility.
Solution 2: Reset AirPort Express
Reset AirPort Express. If the Unexpected message reappears, reset the AirPort Express again.
Solution 3: Try the setup on iPad
Try the setup on iPad. Go to Settings -> WiFi. Under “Setup a new AirPort Base Station”, tap AirPort Express. Follow the prompts.
Solution 4: Connect your AirPort Express using the Ethernet cable
Users getting the same error when they try to connect it to the existing Airport Extreme wireless network.
Software: AirPort Utility 6.3.2 and OS X 10.9.5
Temporarily connect the AirPort Express to iMac with an Ethernet cable.
Other fixes :
- Disconnect the ethernet cable from iMac with the AirPort Express connected to the wireless hub with a cable.
- You might set the WiFi name to hidden. Changing the WiFi network unhidden will fix your problem. When you edit your Main device within AirPort Utility, go to Wireless tab -> Wireless Options settings. Find the settings marked “Create hidden network” uncheck the setup process.
- Check the firewall settings. Navigate to System preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall and uncheck “Block all incoming connections”.
I hope above the solution may help to fix this AirPort Express Unexpected error. If you know any other solutions or doubts let me know through the comments section below. Thank you.
been searching and trying all kinds of different suggestions; this is the first one that worked. thank you!!
Top marks for this solution. I tried so many others and this worked a treat. Thanks! 🙂
you're amazing, setting it up with the iPad worked. thank you so much, I was about to toss this thing at the wall.
Don't know why, but worked using an iPad. Thank you!
Glad it works, but how do I use my iPad to set up the router that gives me my wireless signal? The problem is that I can't get it set up to give me a wireless signal. What am I missing here?
Thanks! After repeated errors with my Apple computer failed, I had to install the AirPort Express using my iPad, but I wouldn't have thought of that without this good advice.
Also got the message “An unexpected error occurred try again”. In my case the firmware of the Airport Express 1gen 802.11n was to old to be recognized under El Capitan / Sierra / iOS 9.3.5 / iOS 10. Configured and updated the firmware of the AE from 7.3 to 7.6.8 with Snow Leopard (USB Boot). The AE is now working on all my devices!
Ipad solution worked after a hard reset. Macbook Pro kept coming up with an unexpected error. Thank you.
Ipad solution worked for me also. Did hard reset then used Ipad
Mini. Thanks a lot.
Obviously if you don't have an iPad, use your iPhone for solution #3. That worked for me.